Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Back To The Blank Page...

I dedicated my birthday month to a stress free creative approach.
My sister, Shiree, reached out to me with a challenge to write a six-word story from a pre-selected list of themes.
I enjoyed finding a creative way to squeeze my story into six words, but I realized that I prefer to write without limitations.
I grew from the exercise, no doubt, and I discovered that I can insert my “voice” and style into almost any topic.
...this comes as less of a surprise to my close family and friends.
Apparently, I like to talk a lot; and share my opinions, a lot; and I guess I realized that I have a lot of space to free-up for new thoughts and ideas.
The most rewarding aspect of the month long challenge was that I remembered how much I crave writing.
Not just when I have a deadline or a specific goal that I’m working towards, but simply out of habit.
I appreciate releasing the thoughts in my head onto a blank screen.
There––at least for a moment––the constant dialogue has vanished from my mind and awaits judgment from someone else; a far less judgmental critic than I.

No comments: