Friday, May 25, 2007

Laughter is Contagious...

I cannot believe I'm sharing this information to the dark unknown reaches of the World Wide Web, after all, who knows where this information is really stored?
Nevertheless, I'm 29 years old, and I still talk to my Grandma almost daily.

I never feel bad about that, until I've said it to someone here in LA, and they look at me like I'm from another planet. As if loving your family and actually wanting to hear an encouraging voice is inconceivable.

I adore my grandma (she's my best friend) and I call her all the time…
Okay. We're past all that right?

Good.

Anyway, during our conversation today, she mentioned something about my grandpa falling and breaking a rib. Of course right away, I became upset and nervous about his condition. After she relieved me of any notion that he was anything more than mildly uncomfortable, we got on with our chat. She went on to advise me that (he) was taking advantage of a bell that she laid down beside his easy chair recliner. At which point she began to laugh uncontrollably.

My grandma's laugh is the most charming, audible and infectious cry you've ever heard! She gets a tickle in the back of her throat, and once that starts it never stops. Naturally I began to join forces with her delight in the fact that, she has in a sense, trained my grandpa to ring a bell whenever he needs anything. At which point, you hear the bell ringing in the background and we howled even louder…

The exhilaration that overcame my imagination, as I sat thinking about my mischievous grandpa ringing a bell anytime he needed anything!

"He's a tough old fart", she said, in between snorting and side aching breaths of laughter… she continued on, "Getting old is comical!"

"You think that was funny, you should see us getting ready for bed, it's like the blind leading the blind."

"Now I know God has a sense of humor, the aging process gives Him something fun to watch."

I'm not sure why I experienced so much joy from that conversation today. Many factors come to mind.
a. I'm happy to know that after fifty-two years of marriage, they can still make each other laugh.
b. My grandpa has a bell!?
c. Very few of my friends can make me laugh that hard out loud.

Notwithstanding, the most important reason, someday I am desperately going to miss that contagious laugh!

No comments: