Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Revelation:

As I approach our second week of rehearsal for “Matilda” at the Penobscot Theater, I recognize a noticeable absence of something:
Stress.
Where once there might have been an overwhelming energy, I now feel a tremendous joy.
In large, part I have to recognize the talent and professionalism of our cast.  It helps to have a group of artists who understands the work at hand and is capable of the daunting scope of the production.
I identified something else, too; the confidence of my journey.
After years of working as a performer, my transition into directing and choreographing made sense. I was able to articulate intention and emotion based on what worked––or didn’t work––for me in past productions.
This obvious sign was unspoken, but stirring inside me on my creative path; but it was only when I was ready to step back and trust, that I surrendered to the idea fully.
During our evolution in life, we hear time and again a version of, “It will happen when you’re ready.”
We roll our eyes and think, “Ya, ya. . . I’m ready!”
Sometimes we’re thrust into things that we’re not ready for and we rise to the occasion; often we’re pushed into something and we fall––in both cases we accept what worked and what did not.
Then, there are those golden moments when we accept the opportunity with pure excitement––our preparation and enthusiasm create our destiny.

No comments: