Sunday, February 26, 2017

20 Year Friendship

Not all friendships are a two-way street.
Similarly, not all bonds last forever.
I’m grateful that this is not the case with my friend Tracie.
Tracie is a fellow choreographer whom I met in my early twenties in New York City.
An instant connection was formed and has blossomed into a deep meaningful relationship.
Motivated by laughter, creativity, respect, support, admiration, inspiration, honesty, and much, much more.
I realized very quickly––especially in the entertainment industry––that very few people will continue to be excited for you as your career develops.  Even more challenging to find, is a friend who champions for you in every endeavor you embark on.
One of the best aspects of our friendship happens when we’re not speaking;
No matter how much time has passed or how long it’s been since the last time we saw one another––with one look we are instantly on the same page.
After nearly twenty years, Tracie has long departed the “friend” category––I consider her family.
My grandma always used to say, “Make new friends, but keep the old.  New ones are silver, the gold ones are gold.”
I completely understand that now.
I feel so fortunate to have a friend who I can work with, laugh with, create with, and yes, cry with––we’ve cried over many lost jobs and boys––and through all of life’s ups and downs we have always been there for each other.
The fact that I still get to work with her, that is #Extra.

No comments: