Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Democracy... I think...

I don't know about you... But these days times are tough! With a failing economy, lack of jobs and very few people seeing eye to eye on the "issues" or even talking about real change... I'm frustrated and overwhelmed!

I shot the photograph above in Denver during the DNC... It just caught my eye for so many reasons, the most obvious... It's laying on the pavement!
According to Wikipedia:
Democracy is a form of government in which the supreme power is held completely by the people under a free electoral system.
Doesn't it feel more like the supreme power is held in large corporations and elected officials that are ruled by said corporations?
What's worse, there is no escaping the reminder that Americans want and need change.

It's impossible to turn on the television without seeing attack ads FULL of half truths, twisted words and out of context quotes.
Even the news (no matter which channel you subscribe to) can you uncover what's really being said.

I have good friends, who have stopped talking to other friends because they disagree about the future of our country.
Then we have people running for office who, though they don't come right out and say it... believe that anyone who has a different opinion or passionate view on the future of OUR country might be Un-American!
Does it really matter what part of the country you come from? I believe that regardless of size, location and socioeconomic composite we are ALL grateful to live in a country where we have the right to speak freely and freely disagree with injustice.

I am grateful every single day, from morning until my head hits the pillow, that I live in a country that we are ALL equal...
...Even if it hasn't always been true or proves to be complicated from time to time...
Moreover, I feel blessed for every single woman and man who has ever served this country... For me, and my freedoms. In the name of Democracy.
So please, please, Sarah Palin (and other like minded thinkers) remember that we live in The United States of America the next time you divide a chunk of this great land "Pro-American"... I'd like to enlighten you, that though I have completely different ideas, hopes and dreams for what this country is and can be- I stand behind this UNITED country for ALL of its people...
Even the ones who think like you!
On a lighter note... I really hope that this economy turns around soon. There's got to be money out there, somewhere? Where did it all go? I hope we find it soon, or else I may end up living here:

No comments: