Monday, April 18, 2011

Goodbye 32. Hello 33.

I will be thirty three in less than two weeks, and I've never been more proud of the growth that I've made in one year of my life. Not just on a professional level, but on a personal plane too.
Looking back on the past fifteen years of my life I'm finally able to recognize that my journey so far has been filled with amazing opportunities, adventures and unexpected blessings.
Very few people are an overnight success in any field, obviously the entertainment industry is no exception.
Achieving my goals in this business has proven tough, yet promising. I've spent my entire adult life, and most of my youth with one objective-
Though it has taken longer than I imagined it would while daydreaming in seventh grade History class, I can finally see the manifestation of my goals.
I have spent the past decade and a half on a journey bringing me a step closer to my realization every day.
When I turned thirty I decided that I had a new decade to conquer. A new opportunity to live a more balanced life. Rather than focusing on the things I hadn't yet accomplished on my check list- I decided to throw the check list out and try a new approach. One that involved using my past achievements and experience to my advantage.
Rather than continuing to fight for my chance to be pulled off the bench, I decided to quit the team and start my own.
This time around, I'd allow myself to trust MY game plan. Play by my rules. Most important, I'd stop trying so hard to be a halfback, when I was born to be a forward.
I had already accomplished so much in my life. Yet I still didn't feel like I'd lived up to my true potential. So what did I have to lose?
I remembered that fifteen year old boy who was fearless. I knew that he was still somewhere inside me... Dying, because I had allowed myself to buy in to the idea that I should be worried.
The instant that I released EVERY insecurity and removed all doubt, the path was revealed.
A thought occurred to me- stop waiting for others to help. Get out there and ask for what you want! Don't worry about what they'll think of you or if they say no.
If they're in a position that can really help, they most likely got there the same way.
Anyone who has ever accomplished greatness in their life, did so because they took action instead of succumbing to fear.
Sure enough, the past two years have lead to tremendous growth for me as an artist and human.
I feel like I'm living a life beyond the dreams I had as a kid.
I always thought I was living "in the moment." Until I woke up from my daydream and began to experience the greatness in my life while it was happening.
I truly understand the wisdom in the following quote which was shared with me along time ago by an important person in my life:

- Soul Stories by Gary Zukav

I look forward to soaring in my thirty-third year of life!

No comments: