Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Short Story: How My Dream Turned Into A Career

Inspired by variety shows like: The Carol Burnett Show, You Can’t Do That On Television, In Living Color and Saturday Night Live, my passion for the entertainment industry was ignited!  I remember the first time I decided to build a set. I was wide-awake in my bedroom late at night after watching an episode of In Living Color. My mind was whirling in a hundred different directions searching for a creative outlet.  Influenced by a sketch that I’d seen Jim Carrey performer earlier in the evening I was eager to release my own inner entertainer.  Without a firm plan, I decided to raid our linen closet searching for the largest sheets and blankets I could find.  I began stapling the sheets to the ceiling in my bedroom to create the best version of a soundstage I could imagine.  I snuck into the living room and “borrowed” the family camcorder that (in my opinion) had not been used to its full potential.  Without a script or any idea of a concept, I searched through my closet to find whatever ridiculous outfit I could make into a costume; propped the camera up on its tripod; pressed record and began improvising.  That improvisation sparked my journey as a performer and filmmaker.  Whether acting, directing, dancing, choreographing or producing- I love the business of entertaining!

No comments: