Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Catholic Make-Over?!?

I guess it's inevitable...
In a society driven by social media, celebrity, youth, yoga, pilates, rebranding and enlightenment- it seems everyone is focused on appealing to the masses...
So natural the Catholic Mass gets a facelift!
I guess it's progress? The last time the Catholic Church modified their services was in 1965.
I was baptized Catholic and grew up in the Catholic Church. I want to be very clear, my family gave both me and my sister the choice in the matter.
 I was never forced to attend mass, catechism or confession.
I did so on my own accord for several reasons;
1. I LOVED the theatrics of mass.
2. I felt safe with my thoughts and sharing them with someone who would listen, but never verbally answer.
3. I thoroughly enjoyed the smell of the incense.
There are other more important reasons, all of which are personal and therefore I will not share those thoughts.
The point is- I find comfort in the hour a week I spend in meditation.
Apparently a large population of practicing Catholics do as well...
Today, it was announced that over the next several weeks the Catholic mass will be getting a world wide overhaul!
As a combined effort of the Popes' in more recent years responding to the dwindling number of Catholics attending weekly services- The Vatican has decided to step into the light. They want the Catholic Church to be more user friendly. More in line with a spiritual enlightenment...
Did I even hear our priest mention meditation?
(A word that most Catholics associate with New Age thinking.)
I guess some people aren't familiar with the monistaries and convents where speaking is prohibit.
Anyway, I couldn't help but get a little chuckle in church this morning when the priest talked about the new phrases being added and the new moments of silence and mediation.
On the one hand I'm proud that the Catholic Church is trying to rebrand their faith for a new generation and perhaps even shed the nasty scandals that have stained the sacred robes.
Still, another part of me can't help but question how changing a few silly words is going to draw in new audience? In the meantime, it will no doubtedly piss off a large part of the older audience that still remain covered in a black veil each week...
If the Catholic Church was really interested in repopulating the pews they should draw on Hollywood, and take a note from movies like Sister Act and the celebrity TV evangelists who manage to pack in thousands of people a week in their enormous arenas.
People do want change- they're craving it from everywhere!
But they want it to appeal to them. They want to be inspired. They want to be entertained. They want to sing like a contestant on The Voice. They want to stand up dance down the aisles...
They don't want another opportunity to kneel!

No comments: