Friday, December 16, 2011

Addicted to Words...

I'm not a huge gamer. I grew up during the original Nintendo generation. I played on the original Game Boy device with the black and grey graphics and have a vague recollection of Atari...
It's not that I didn't have fun playing hours of Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. or Contra, but I just didn't seem to excel at it like many of my friends.
I was far more preoccupied with acting out skits, watching too much TV and (poorly) rollerblading around my cul-de-sac.
Plus, I'm a very competitive person by nature. I hate losing! I'm not a poor loser, I just hate that I can't be brilliant at everything!
So as I grew up, I focused on the things that I was good at which also happened to be the things I enjoy the most.
Now, in the generation of the iPhone, social networking and gamers collide.
One of the easiest was to stay connected to a long lost friend is to engage them in a friendly competition...
Enter- Words With Friends. The fun online game of Scrabble.
I never thought I'd allow myself to play something I'm terrible at (I'm currently losing six of the eleven games I'm playing) nevertheless, I find it incredibly addictive.
The strategy. The satisfaction of using a "Q," "W," and an "X" at the same time! Learning new words... and yes, even the competition is fun for me.
I guess I've grown up a lot since Third Grade, when I threw the Monopoly board across the living room after my dad swooped in and stole Park Place right out from under my nose!
Yep! It was like that...

No comments: