Saturday, May 19, 2012

Off-Episodes With Grandma

Sitting across the table from one of the most important women in my life;
I almost don't recognize her shell.
Parkinson's disease has manipulated her graceful body-
Her proud and bullheaded determination remains unaffected,
She will not concede without resistance!
Her laugh is still as infectious as ever-
The "off-episodes" are painful.
I search to find the grandma I know.
Then the fog clears and my best friend is back.
I don't know how long I'll have her.
I struggle to cherish every minute-
Even the frustrating moments!
She's shown me a lifetime of unconditional love;
I will certainly do the same.
It's hard to think about missing someone who's still on earth.
So I'll focus on loving her while I have her!
She's assured me she will always be with me on my shoulder...
With a wink and a smile.

Right now, I'm grateful that we're still able to enjoy moments like this:

No comments: