Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Addicted to Tattoos!

I'm not going to lie. I'm a huge fan of tattoos! I'm not even sure where the fascination with them came from, but I remember sometime around the age of thirteen- I knew that as soon as I turned eighteen I would get an entire sleeve of them!

When eighteen rolled around, I was living in Chicago and dancing in a professional dance company- I took my best friend at the time (Maria Tucker) with me to a small tattoo shop in Evanston, IL for my first tattoo! I knew I was in trouble from that point on! I was ADDICTED! I loved the rush of adrenaline, the sound of the buzzing needle and the spiritual high I got.
There's something about the permanency of a tattoo that makes me happy. I know many people see them as ugly and regrettable...

However, I find tattoos beautiful works of art and self-expression. Over the years I've continued to build on my body art- I'm up to six tattoos. All of which are extremely meaningful to me. Each represents a moment in my life, and add to the greater story of the journey I'm on.


Last night I was excited to share in my friend Amy's first tattoo experience! Amy had been contemplating the idea of a tattoo for well over a decade. She always knew what she wanted, however, she wasn't ready to take the next step. But like with most people, when it's time- you know it! (I know I sound crazy, but tattoos are something that really are more than just Pop culture or a Disney character you pick off a wall when you're drunk in the Bahamas!)
Anyway, Amy has a birthday coming up- and she was ready to mark this step of her journey-
I got to hold her hand last night as the needle sunk into her skin! She was nervous, but extremely brave! Amy- Welcome to the club!


No comments: