Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Successes and Setbacks...

In life, I'm told you have to take the good with the bad...
I'm not sure why, I guess I just have to accept it and move forward. There really is no point in dwelling on things that cannot be change- But there is a little part of me that wants to act like a five year old! Jump up and down, screaming at the top of my lungs... and then throw myself to the floor, kicking and biting until the last ounce of rage spills out!
Yesterday, just as I had finally made peace with trusting that this year will be every bit as successful as last year, as long as I stay focused and positive, I received a disappointing call.
Long story short- in this industry (and in life) people are waiting around every corner to screw you over. In yesterdays instance, I learned a valuable lesson regarding the choice I made in hiring an assistant that did less assisting me, and more assisting herself in scooping up a job from underneath me!
I've been in this town long enough to understand how the game is played- and most people that I work with play by the rules, so I guess I was just bummed that in this moment, the rules didn't apply.
I have faith that the person delivering the upsetting news is in fact on my side, and I trust her whole hearted when she says she will make it up to me- Moreover, I was extremely grateful for how she handled the situation... Unlike my former assistant, she understands the rules in which you play.
I learned a valuable lesson. I lost a potential job because I allowed my assistant to show up in my place on the final day of shooting on a previous job, while I attended another project... In short, all she had to do was "baby sit" the actors to make sure they felt comfortable.
I will never make that mistake again. I will be even more selective when hiring an assistant, and I will make sure that they know their place is assisting me- not networking their own deals!
On a happy note- (the good with the bad...) I finished the first rough draft of the book I've been writing! After almost two years of research, writing and struggle to stay inspired, I'm pleased that I accomplished one of my 2011 goals already!
Now the tough part begins. Editing, rewrites and publishing!
Wish me luck!

No comments: