Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do Your DOOTY!

I'm freezing my ass off sitting in a mid-seventies court house holding room located in downtown Los Angeles with an eclectic group of slightly annoyed people.
We were all called (an hour and a half before they "needed us") for Jury Duty.
I'm not sure if it's the lack of faith I have in our court system as of late-
Or the fact that if I'm asked to serve on a jury this week or next, I will be missing out on several big auditions, which means the potential loss of income...
Either way, I do not think of this experience as a "wonderful opportunity" the clerk excitedly proclaims it to be!
Still, I'm fascinated by the entire process-
Calling people two hours before they need them, allowing people off the hook because their "Basic English" isn't strong enough to understand a trail (Didn't they all have to pass a citizenship test to even be considered for jury duty?) Finally the nuts who ask the same question that has been answered three times before...
Thank God I can find humor in watching as a group of mix matched adults try to maneuver their way around casual conversation. It's like the High School cafeteria all over again!
At least by now, most people are able to assimilate with the people they know they'll be able to tolerate. Of course there's always one that can't take the hint. Those are my favorite moments.
Hey, if I have to be stuck doing "something wonderful" for my fellow citizens, at least I get to watch something brilliant while I sit and turn into an icecap!

No comments: