Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mass on Maui

Shortly after stuffing our bellies full of decadent gourmet food from Mama's Fish House we drove towards the gorgeous sunset, where just a stones throw away from the beach, stood our favorite Catholic church.
St. Theresa's is a lovely semi-open-aired church with a congregation of happy Hawaiian locals and weekly tourist who are, no doubt, delighted to worship alongside a generous and loving community; the Tongan choir is arguably the best I've ever heard––certainly in church.
As I was sitting there listening to the readings of the Gospel, I felt a safety, joy, and peace of mind.
The church, religion, spirituality––it's a lot for some people––I cannot concern myself with other's perception; I only know that for me, it works.  I feel at home in a church.
Perhaps it's the theatrical event my soul seeks; it definitely appeals to my artistic inclination.
The alter, a stage; the pews, the audience; the incense, smoke effects; the candles, lighting; the Priest, the actor; the choir, the ensemble; the Blood and Body of Christ, the Intermission snacks...
Some may shout, "Sacrilege!"
I say, "Hey, whatever keeps me in the seats and focused on God's words."
In truth, I'm drawn to the connection I feel with God and The Universe; through prayer, meditation, and yes, the familiarity of my childhood Religion.  I also feel connected to my gram; who is no longer on earth, but with me in Spirit.
Regardless, during the service, I felt a deep sense of gratitude.  I am 40 years old and I have the world.
I released my past and accepted my present in mass.  I surrendered my dreams to God.
I've done it "my way" for the past 40 years, and I'm thankful for every adventure and blessing along the way.
My past was motivated by ambition; something to prove.
In mass, I relinquished control (not that I ever really had any), I gave into the power of God.  I have made a career out of saying "yes" to whatever was put in front of me––but it came with a lot of hustle, drive, and determination.
I lived 40 years trying to control the uncontrollable; Now, I'm letting go and leaping into whatever awaits me. I have no preconceived idea of what the next chapter of my life should be...for the first time ever, I am free!

No comments: