Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Love Auditions!

I don't care who you are, or how long you've been an actor in the entertainment industry-
You will never get used to the crazy world of auditioning.
Don't get me wrong, I love auditions!
An audition is an opportunity to work as an actor.
It means that you're doing something right...
You have "something" that "someone" in this business might want to use-
I'm thankful for every audition I get called in for!
Nevertheless, there are always those brilliant moments when an audition feels more like torture, than a fun, creative, potential job...
Today, I had the pleasure of auditioning for a small, but juicy role in an independent movie with a great script and some amazing talent attached.
The scene that I was auditioning for was extremely intense. The character I was playing gets shot in the leg, while on a wild chase through the woods. At the height of the drama, the character realizes that his allies might just end up switching alliances and turn the gun on him instead of saving him.
Of course the professional that I am- I spent a lot of time working on the scene. Because this was a big chase scene, with bullets flying through the air and a lot of over the top dialogue leading up to my character getting shot in the leg, I wanted to make sure that my audition would be honest and dramatic, without being cheesy...
I arrived in Santa Monica, only to realize, that the audition was being held in a makeshift "office" / living room in a 1960's apartment complex.
Now, this is not some random, shady casting director, that's going to ask me to take off my clothes on camera- This is a major casting director in the film industry-
So I was shocked, when I signed in, and was asked to, "keep the yelling down, because this room echos..."
Wasn't I auditioning for the crazy, gun happy maniac, who (according to the script) was yelling like a mad man?
If that wasn't strange enough, I start my audition, and because I've been asked not to yell, I'm making the "choice" to keep the dialogue extremely intense and intimate- Only to hear the casting directors iPhone ring during my line, "I think I'm gonna die if you leave me here..."
Oh, the good times!
As if it weren't difficult enough to pretend that I'm in the middle of the woods, with a gunshot wound, being chased down a hill, while sitting in a living room in sunny Santa Monica with a casting director sitting behind a folding table reading every other line in the script-
Now I have to compete with an iPhone?
God, auditions are a blast!



No comments: