Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Just Say "NO!" ...sometimes.

There are moments in our life, when we ignore our instincts and decided to follow through with an idea or action to see if it plays out in an unexpected manner than we anticipate-
I'm not sure why we ever think the outcome is going to be much different than what we expect in our mind. In fact, I'm fairly positive that no matter how hopeful we are, if we go against our initial gut feeling, it may be our very own subconscious that is quietly plotting against us...
In other words, if I sense the inner feeling of dread or doubt and I proceed anyway, I imagine I will always have that emotion holding me back from achieving anything other than what I expected.
The end result is almost always what I feared it would be.
That's not to say that I don't thrive on taking risks, nor do I shy away from challenges. I love new adventures and respond well to change, as long as it agrees with my gut feeling.
But from time to time, I push myself to do something that goes against every safeguard that I have in place.
Call me crazy. Call me a gluten for punishment. Just don't call me a chicken.
I think because I'm so adamant against saying "no" to any of life's adventures, possibilities or opportunities, that I sometimes say "yes" to things that are designed for my demise-
No matter how hard I fight or push myself, there are things in life that are out of my control.
I'm so grateful that in my thirties, I'm learning and understanding that not everything has to be conquered! I'm finally realizing that turning down an offer or opportunity that I have no emotional investment in is not necessarily a bad thing! Actually, it's the smartest thing I can do for myself.
When I was younger, I thought if I said "no" too much, people would stop asking.
What I've come to experience is the exact opposite- The more I say "no" to the things that I know I'm not inspired to accomplish, the greater success I have at attaining the goals that I'm encouraged to master!
Last week my reminder came in the form of a terrible audition! It's hard to say "no" to an audition, especially in this economy... but it was an audition that I knew in my heart I was not right for- and I went anyway. I gave it my all, and in the end I still had a horrible audition. I left feeling embarrassed and upset.
Had I passed on the audition, I'm sure there is a part of me that would have felt like I missed out on an opportunity- however, I think the overall feeling would have been that I made the right choice, and I wouldn't have spent the following days in a state of emotional turmoil like I did because I went and did a sub-par job!
Oh well- life is a work in process. This week I learned that it is most definitely okay to say NO.

No comments: