Sunday, June 17, 2012

Accepting Loss...

Today should be a wonderful day-
After several incredibly stressful but highly productive months of work and creativity, I'm on my way to Hawaii for a week long vacation.
Paradise right?
Unfortunately my trip started off with an emotional misstep.
I have a terrible habit of removing my grandfathers ring that I'd started wearing after he passed away.
It was a simply solid gold class ring that he wore in high school and I've worn every day since his death.
While the ring itself was probably only worth a few hundred dollars, the emotional connection was priceless.
Somewhere between the bathroom and the terminal I took the ring off to apply some lotion hand lotion.
Ordinarily I take special care to put the ring in my pocket and return it to my finger as soon as I've finished the task at hand. This time I was careless.
The worst part is, I didn't realize the ring was no longer on my finger until the airplane was speeding down the runway.
After talking to the flight attendants I learned that the only thing I can do is contact the airport when I land in Hawaii to see if anyone has turned it in...
I'm devastated!
I have no one to blame but myself.
I've lost a piece of my grandfather that I wasn't ready to give up.
So it looks like my vacation is starting with sadness, guilt, punishment and the fact that I have to accept the kiss of my grandpa all over again...
And on Father's Day!

No comments: