Monday, June 25, 2012

Remembering Grandpa's Spirit

It's hard to accept the idea that everything happens for a reason.
But the older l get, the more I discover the philosophy to be true. When my grandpa passed away in 2009, I wasn't sure how I would move forward. I had never lost a close loved one and the pain was deep.
I've mentioned in previous posts just how much my grandpa influenced my life. Even on his last day, he reminded me of how proud he was of me, and not to be sad. He knew he was dying, and he only thought of his family and their feelings.
This was how he lived his entire life.
He shared with me his unconditional love, support and wisdom.
After he passed, I began wearing one of his gold rings that my grandma gave me.
For me it was a reminder of him, of course. However it was more than that. The ring was a daily affirmation of his life and spirit. It encouraged me to remember his words, love, support and to make the most of every day.
I have worn the ring every day for over two and a half years.
After having it resized this past December to wear on a different finger, I got in this terrible habit of taking it off. The way the ring sat on my finger after being refitted was awkward.
I made a mental note to be careful. I did NOT want to lose this ring. It was was not worth more than a few hundred dollars, but the emotional attachment was irreplaceable.
On my flight to Hawaii last Sunday, I used the washroom on a layover flight in San Francisco. I took the ring off in the boarding area to reapply hand lotion and the ring must have fallen out of my pocket. It wasn't until we were taking off that I realized that it was gone.
Not exactly the way you want to start a long overdue and needed vacation in paradise!
When I arrived in Hawaii, I asked a flight attendant if a ring had been turned in. A passenger overheard me, and told me that they had found a ring in San Francisco and it was turned into lost and found.
At that moment, I decided that if it was meant to be, I would get the ring back.
I called United Airlines and filed a lost articles report. I had low expectations of ever seeing that solid gold ring again.
I released it and began enjoying my vacation.
While I was in Hawaii I was able to relax, regroup and regain a calm gratefulness. I spent hours at a time meditating in the healing waters. I felt centered. I remembered the power of positive energy and faith.
It's so easy to give into fear and self doubt. But when I took the time to check in with myself and sit quietly in the presence of God- everything was clear.
If I make time to meditate, journal and exercise, I feel centered and confident. Naturally, when I feel centered and confident I'm more readily available to succeed at the task or challenge in front of me.
In the still of my enlightenment, while floating in the ocean in Maui, I acknowledged that I have experienced so many amazing adventures. I've accomplished so many wonderful goals.
I have never gone without- and I can't help but believe it is in large part because of my faith.
Three days into my vacation I received a phone call from United.
They found my grandpa's ring and it was being mailed back to me.
It's funny, my grandpa was the man who (on his death bed) encouraged me to live a full life without fear and trust that "everything happens for a reason." Two and a half years later the loss and return of his ring, would once again encourage me to trust in myself and the journey that I am on.
Release the doubt and embrace faith!
I also learned something while the ring was missing; I understood that the wisdom, encouragement and memory of my grandpa was not in a ring-
It was in his spirit.
And his spirit is not in gold or even a photograph, rather his spirit lives inside of me.
It is in my heart and soul.

No comments: