Sunday, December 30, 2012

Artist's Who Can Do Both!

For over sixteen years, I have made a living out of harnessing the passion that lives inside.
Determined to manifest my childhood dream into a career has not always been easy. In fact, some would say it's been downright brutal.
Nevertheless, my passion, (fading) idealistic ideas and the need to release my creative energy has continued to motivate me forward--
On my journey, I've encountered soaring highs and devastating lows.
I've toured Europe. Performed on The Great White Way.  I've even been spotted on a few popular TV shows and movies.  
As grateful as I am for those moments, they are just that. Small bursts of success that have inspired me with just enough incentive to continue "living the dream."
Which by the way, I am NOT dismissing.  I am so thankful for every ounce of opportunity I've experienced along the way.
I've also been fortunate not to hold down a "real" job.  That is to say, I've never temped or worked a true nine to five job.
I have however supplemented my income by teaching.  I started teaching dance while I was still being taught.  (If you're a dancer, you'll understand this.)
As I continued to grow as an artist, my ability to teach and choreograph flourished.  However, I would not say that I was passionate about teaching.
Teaching was a means to an end.  I could do it well, and make enough money to "get by" while still pursuing my art.
As I continued to get older, my distaste for teaching grew stronger.  Sure, I found flickers of inspiration from talented students, and I always make the best of every situation, but I was really starting to resent teaching.
I often wondered, "When will it be my turn to have my dream career, and not HAVE to teach anymore?"  Plus, I was never able to mute that terrible saying that echoed through my head:
"Those who can do. Those who can't teach."
It's awful!
Naturally, I've fought that voice on a weekly base for the past sixteen years, because teaching really does provide the perfect job solution.
It wasn't until this morning while rereading The Artists Way by Julia Cameron, that my entire outlook on teaching changed. In the new Introduction, Julia offers her own insight on teaching, "I was 'called' to teach and I answered that call somewhat grudgingly. What about my art? I wondered. I had not yet learned that we do tend to practice what we preach, that in unblocking others I would unblock myself, and that, like all artists, I would thrive more easily with some companionship, with kindred souls making kindred leaps of faith."
A spark snapped in my mind.  Yes. It makes perfect sense, I am the most creative and productive when I'm teaching a class!  I'm happier. More inspired, and though I often complain on my way to the class, once I arrive, the students encourage me. 
So thank you Julia Cameron for enlightening my point of view.  I am a better artists, because I teach!
Which fuels me to respond to those who discount teachers with a quote of my own-
"Those who CAN do "it" well enough to teach others, do both!"

No comments: