Saturday, December 29, 2012

Family Dinner

When you grow up in a large (mostly Italian) family, dinner is more like a party...
Imagine an Olive Garden commercial with superior food and a crucifix on every wall.
Loud and energetic.
Glasses full of wine.
The odor of garlic permeating every room.
Hands flailing everywhere.
Lot's of cousins fighting.
Men in sharp slacks with Fruit of the Loom white 'V' neck T-shirts talking about their new lawnmower.
A bunch of women (and the flamboyant nephews) gathered around the kitchen sink gossiping.
To this day, dinner isn't special unless I'm surrounded by a scene from any Hollywood mob movie cliché.
That's why I'm so excited for tonights gathering on my partners side of the family.  It's the first time I've cooked for the whole family at once, and I want it to be just as delicious and chaotic as I remember growing up.  I spent the majority of my day yesterday preparing an Italian feast complete with antipasto and of course meatballs!
Mangia! Mangia!


No comments: