Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Follow the Leader...

Remember the good ol' days when adults would ask us, "If Tommy jumped off a cliff, would you follow him?" After we'd been caught doing something insane, and blamed it on someone else.
I can't even recall how many times I heard a phrase like, "be a leader, not a follower."
But now, with the progress of social networks and websites like Twitter, children and adults across the country are being encouraged and rewarded for being a "follower."
"Follow me on Twitter" is now a phrase that you see on every website, television commercial, newscast- hell, even my dentist wants me to "follow" him! Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of it too!
I just had to stop and think about it for a moment today- The only place that following people is considered "cool" is on Twitter, and with roughly fifty million tweets per day, I'm wondering, where are all the leaders?

No comments: