Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Aftermath...


My visit home was (at times) very difficult, heartbreaking and overwhelming.
Thankfully on the last day, I was able to gain a fresh perspective and achieve some sense of peace-
Gram was having a very good day, so I took the opportunity to share with her my deepest gratitude, love, respect and admiration.  I managed between fighting back tears and snot, to inform her that she was (and continues to be) my number one driving force, inspiration and role model.
I would not have accomplished half of my achievements in life, had it not been for her unending support.
I told her what a brilliant mother and grandmother she is, and that I will never forget her spirt.
When she replied, it was articulate, sensitive, gentle, loving, humorous and emotional.  (Everything my grandma had been before Parkinson’s took over her body.)
We embraced for a long time, and I asked her if she could still dance with me.
“Of course” she replied. Grabbed my waist and held on as her feet began to step touch and sway side to side.  I was delighted.
We danced, I cried.
She then stopped, looked down at her leg and started shaking it rapidly,
simulating the movement that takes over when she’s having and episode,
“See, it even helps me dance!”   she said, referring to the disease.
She started laughing and I joined in.
That’s the most inspiring thing about my gram, she never lets life get her down!
I love her so much.  I have great hope and faith that we will have many more dances before the music ends!

No comments: