Saturday, March 6, 2010

Don't Judge Me!

I'm sitting in a theatre in the heart of the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Colorado Springs, CO.
For the past ten years of my life I've spent the better part of my weekends each year flying to cities all across the country working as an adjudicator for several of the nations top talent competitions.
Think "American Idol" meets "So You Think You Can Dance" with a splash of "Star Search"...
It's not as glamorous as it sounds. In fact, I honestly hate crushing the dreams of future show biz hopefuls!
There is nothing worse than sitting in a theatre watching someone perform their guts out...
...and I have to tell them that their guts are only worth a bronze medal.
I've been in the entertainment industry since I was ten years old (which I imagine is one of the qualifications that makes me a perfect candidate for this job) nevertheless, I have heard awful things along my journey...
Thank god for my super supportive parents who told me that I was perfect no matter what! ...along with my ability to live in a completely delusional world where I love everything I do, plus my drive to prove all those assholes that told me I'd never make it wrong!
Yet here I sit, doing exactly what's been done to me!
Though I must admit, I would never say some of the things that I've heard along my journey as an artist...
For example: I'd never say, "You'd be really talented if you just lost weight!"
Or, "You're really funny, but I think it's always going to come down to you and someone else, and the other person is always going to get the job..."
Just soul crushing statements, that have no relevance.
So please don't judge me for further encouraging the negative energy that goes hand in hand with the entertainment business. After all, I need to make a living too. Plus, from time to time I'm actually extremely inspired by the talent, passion and drive that I see in these young competitors... They remind me that there is hope for the next generation of artist and reinvigorate my idealistic outlook on the industry.
...still, it is very hard not to share with them that I'm their ghost of Christmas future! (Sorry Amy Claire I had to steal that line, it's too great not to use!)

No comments: