Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Car Is Homeless...

I can't even begin to describe the utter bliss I will feel when I no longer have to set an alarm to wake up and move my car twice a week!
There are so many perks to living in the Sunset Plaza / West Hollywood area of Los Angeles;
Great restaurants, shopping, night life, drug stores (I mean the kind like CVS or Rite-Aid not the kind with the big neon green signs in the shape of a leaf... though we have those too!)
Truly everything is within reach!

...everything, except parking!

Because I live in a desirable neighborhood, ALL of our street parking is permit only.
Which basically translates to this: Plan on spending about $100.00 a year on passes that you
affix to the windshield of your car, that give you permission to park on specific streets in the area surrounding your house...

Then, plan on driving around FOREVER to find a spot that isn't already taken by a fellow friend or neighbor! Then there are those people who don't even live on the street, but take the spot because it's free and they don't want to pay the $10.oo to park at The Viper Room or Whisky A Go Go... (They learn the hard way about permit parking when their car is towed and it cost them $350.oo to recover it from the impound lot with several dents!)

But for me, hands down the worst part of permit parking is the street sweeping twice a week.
If I had a place to move my car to, I would have parked it there in the first place...
There are twice as many car owners than parking spots on most of the street in Los Angeles, so on days that you have to "pick a side" to park on, it's like a fight just to get a spot!

...I'm not complaining... Honestly, I LOVE where I live.
I just don't love that my car is homeless!
I just look forward to the day when I can move a little further up the Hollywood Hill and my car will finally have the garage it deserves!

No comments: