Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Organized OCD

I admit it. I am super OCD about organization! I believe everything has a place, and it should be put in it's place when not in use.
I come by this terrible OCD very honestly. My mom drilled it in my head from the time I was eight years old.

...MATTHEW JOSEPH SHAFFER!!!! ....GET IN HERE AND CLEAN UP THIS ROOM! ...AND YOU BETTER NOT STUFF ANYTHING IN THE CLOSET. FOLD IT AND PUT IT IN THE DRAWER OR BIN IT BELONGS IN!!!

...yes mom.

So really it's all her fault! Nevertheless, at almost thirty two years of age, I still stress out if I leave something undone. There are times when I can't even leave the house for a meeting or appointment unless I've properly; labeled, cross-referenced and filed something.
In fact, it's become a game I play. How fast can I: balance my check book, record the earnings in my Excel spreadsheet, label the category, make a note of it in iCal, and file it?
As of this morning, I'm down to almost 3 minutes flat for all daily balance activities!

But, in the grand tradition of trying to release and evolve... I'm forcing myself to relax a bit on the rules of proper organization. ...as painful as it is to see a stack of un-opened, un-filed, un-recorded bills and statements... I MUST REBEL and say NO! Filing is just not that important!
...But what is important is making the new labels for my matching white binders that I store all my important emails in (once they've been highlighted and three-hole punched of course...)
Got to go, the new label maker came in yesterday, and it has a cool new custom color preference!

No comments: