Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Art of Packing...

When I was nineteen and on tour with Girodano Jazz Dance Chicago my eyes were opened for the first time in many ways-
I'd never been to Europe, I'd never been drunk before and I never traveled with Christie Kitchen!

The later, Christie Kitchen, was my roommate on tour.
The artistic director of the company thought it was a wonderful idea to have each of the company members share a room with their counterpart off stage...

This way when you have a shitty performance, you don't just get to hear about what a terrible partner you are in the wings off stage- but the conversation carries into the hotel room in Europe, where you very quickly realize, you will no longer be sleeping...

But, the point of this story is not to talk about all the drama that can happen between partners on tour- instead, I'd like to focus on the reason I'm most grateful for my roommate and dance partner for three seasons on tour! ....Christie Kitchen and The Art of Packing!

Christie, could pack a suit case like no other! All this, before airlines started charging for; food, water, aisle seats and of course.... bag check!
Christie was a pioneer! Her favorite thing to do off stage was unpack and pack...
I was always amazed at what she could get in the soft-sided duffel suit case!

My favorite highlights:

The fold and roll. Self-explanatory really, but the idea is to fold along the seems (to reduce wrinkles) and then roll toward the collar or waist to form a small "fruit roll-up" like shape. Allowing more room to stack shirts, slacks, and even sport coats!

and

The shoe stuff! Again, very simple idea... stuff whichever pair of (multi-purpose) black dress / sport shoes with all of your under garments and socks- Providing support for the shoes, so they don't lose their shape, and allowing perfect storage space for the necessary unmentionables!

Small steps like this take almost no time at all, save space and make traveling a little less complicated!

So Christie- You'll be happy to know that every time I leave town, I think of you! We had our ups and downs on the road- however, the gift of teaching me how to pack, is one that has saved me numerous headaches, and will keep me traveling efficiently for a lifetime!
....even if you did make me cry while you were screaming at me for bring two suitcases on a three month tour of Europe for my first time!

No comments: