Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hangover...

I have a cater-waiter hangover!
In case you don't know what that is;
I'm not sure why,
but I made it through my twenties living in New York city, NEVER having to work as a cater-waiter. I remember hearing all of my friends bitch and moan about how awful it is to serve rich people cold appetizers and tons of alcohol at lavish parties... and still have unhappy guest treating the "help" like shit. So I'm beyond grateful that I escaped that nightmare!

Flash forward to present day- and I find it delightfully ironic that at thirty-one years old... I finally got to be a cater-waiter! Though I must admit, my circumstances are entirely different!
I was working a dinner party for a wealthy friend of a friend. (Everyone has them in LA!) I was also fortunate to have three of my closest friends in Los Angeles working the evening with me... and the icing on the cake: the guest were not the only ones getting drunk!

I find that booze is a wonderful (secret) ingredient for any would be cater-waiter! So long as you can smile and flirt with the guest, make the host or hostess happy and carry more than one plate at a time... the world is at peace! Plus, I walked home with a cool wade of cash in my pocket at the end of the night! ...it's like I got paid to party with interesting rich people and three of my best friends- and the gourmet food and Veuve Clicquot was the happy ending!

Only downside... waking up today with a massive hangover! Oh well! Small price to pay! I wonder if I ever brought Debi Mazar that glass of wine?

No comments: