Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Memory Lane...

I just took a wild trip down memory lane...
I spent the morning scanning old family photos onto my computer and archiving them to a floating satellite in space somewhere...
This way, regardless of whatever act of nature that might one day inflict itself on my home...
i. e. flood, fire, earthquake, etc...
I will always have a digital copy.

I REALLY stress out about losing things. On top of that, I suffer from OCD (self-diagnosed) and so I feel the need to have multiple copies of everything achieved, labeled, cross-referenced and stored.

Plus, a bonus advantage was getting to upload all the goofy family photos to Facebook-
I mean if you can't embarrass your family on a social website, when can you?

The crazy thing is all of the emotions that came up while scanning the pictures! Seeing myself at age one, ten or fourteen is wild... But nothing in comparison to the pictures of my mom and dad with my sister and me before their divorce. It's startling- because I'm an adult now and both my mom and dad are happily remarried and have been for years. Nevertheless, it was a reminder that at one point in my life, the four of us were a perfect, happy family!
It was also tough to see pictures of my Grandpa Shaffer. He's been gone now for seven months, and it's just another revelation of how fast time passes!

That's the beauty and reality of life- The moments we share are special gifts in time. We can look back on them with fond memories, but once they're gone, all we have left is a peace of paper or a digital copy and whatever we remember in our minds...


No comments: