Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day! ...and my Birthday Month!

May 1st! May Day! Or as I like to call it, the first day of my Birthday Month!
Yes, that is correct...
I'm a May baby. May fourth to be exact.
However, I'm the type of person who thinks birthdays should be celebrate all month long...
Is that too much to ask?

I guess I have my family to blame-
They always threw a huge parade in my home town every year on my birthday...
It was a weekend long celebration that rivaled something Disneyland would produce!
Marching bands from across the state, a city block's worth of culinary delights, banners and streamers hung across Main Street, a petting zoo, baton girls, clowns, a face painting booth, arcade games and carnival rides galore!
The fact that the parade was actually a "Blossom Day Parade" and not my "Birthday Parade" was something everyone in my family kept a secret from me until I could read, and finally asked how come all the signs didn't have my name on them?...

You can imagine the shock when I realized that this parade which had marked the kick-off of my birthday for so many years, was not for me, but for some stupid "blossoms" on trees that the entire city felt needed more attention than my birth!

I guess I really never had a chance at a "normal" life after that...
I mean really-- Once you've been lead to believe a three day festival of decadent food, brass bands and lavish floats is all in honor of your birth... an ice cream cake from Baskin Robins and a small gathering in Grandma's back yard is just not the same!


No comments: