Thursday, December 16, 2010

Home For The Holidays

My Grandma Shaffer always reminds me, "Home is where your heart is."
As a kid, I never understood what that meant- My heart is in my chest... How can my home be there?
Fortunately when I moved out on my own, I began to make sense of that phrase.
Chicago, New York, Los Angeles; no matter where I've lived, I've kept the love of my family in my heart.
Still, nothing compares to the aromas, laughter and love of returning home.
Over the past fourteen years I've found great comfort in my visits. Despite the silly fights with my dad, or the screaming matches with my sister, Christmas at home with my family has always been a joy.
As with everything in life- eventually things change. Over the past couple of years I've watched as things slowly change and evolve.
After losing my Grandpa Shaffer a year and a half ago- returning home has a new energy.
Of course I'm so grateful to be with the rest of my family- but there are moments where I flashback to a Christmas from my childhood.
It's painful to come home expecting everything to remain untouched and realize that life moves forward. True, the surroundings seem very normal at first glance. But look a little closer and you begin to see just how fast time and distance take their toll: No Christmas decorations up, because who has the time? No tray of baked goods out, because who has the energy? Then of course there is the absence of my Grandpa Shaffer, and the effect that his death still has on two Christmas later...
As a kid, Christmas is full of joy, toys and laughter. As an adult, it's stress, sadness, and memories-
No matter how hard I fight the tears, they're there. I just strive to remember the good times and laugh as much as I can.
It kills me to watch my grandma suffer from Parkinson's disease- This beautiful woman who has spent her life serving and inspiring others is slowly losing her ability to do function in the way that she's accustomed to.
Despite her challenges, her lack of energy and her pain of losing her husband of fifty-four years, she still finds the ability to share her amazing spirit! Her infectious laugh is all I need to be reminded that, someday when her battle with Parkinson's takes it's toll or she is no longer with us during Christmas- I will remember that home is where the heart is... And though my heart will ache from missing her- I will find comfort in the memory of her spirit, and I will fight like hell to keep her safe at home in my heart. Until then- I'm grateful that I'm in her house, the house that I've know for thirty-two years, and I am happy!

No comments: